Monday, February 4, 2013

hello braxton hicks!


to be honest i haven't felt any Braxton hicks for a couple of weeks now, but it was so strange when i did start feeling and noticing them!  initially i thought ooo the baby must be stretching or something .. i know that sounds silly but it felt so strange!  then it kept happening throughout the day and i sort of stopped and thought about it and BOOM i realised it was Braxton Hicks!  I actually realised after i decided to touch my belly and wowza.. it felt like a ROCK!
i have a pretty hard baby belly as it is so you can imagine how hard it felt.  it was such an unusual feeling, but it didn't hurt.  it was uncomfortable, especially because i was getting them a lot throughout that particular day.

for those of you who don't know what Braxton Hicks are , they are like a false contraction.  Its your body's way of testing the muscles to get them ready for labour.  EEP!

We met with Bianca, our doula, the other night.  It was really great speaking to her and getting to know what she wanted out of the experience aswell as what we wanted.  both Eben and I are so thrilled to have her on board!  We know she won't interfere with the doctors, or Eben or my family.  She is such a gentle person… i think she'll be great!  Also she has just finished her studies to become a midwife!  she has been to over 50 births - all different kinds.  I feel comfortable knowing that she has had experience in hospitals, aswell as being at the forefront of the birth while its happening! Literally.

At this stage i would like to try and do this all natural.  I know what I'm like with pain so i know its a big ask of myself but i really do want to try!  I won't feel ashamed if i choose to have an epidural.  I actually want to know that it will be on standby if i need it!  My mum did it all natural, so if she can do it so can i …. right??  Anyway like i said, I'm not saying no to other options, but I'm going to give it a red hot go!  AND can i just add that i have NO IDEA what its going to feel like… at this stage all i know is, its going to hurt… a lot…. 

Im reading the calm birth book aswell as taking the classes.  we've been a bit naughty and haven't listened to the CD yet but hopefully we will get onto that soon.  I need to practice my breathing exercises more too.   Its helping me to change my view on the whole birth experience to a positive one and not just a scary one.  Obviously its positive in that we get to meet our beautiful beaner, but the whole labour and contractions has such a negative attachment to it because of the movies!  I know some women don't have the greatest of experiences but i think its important to be positive about it and try to look forward to it rather than be afraid.  I think if i can do this i will feel a lot better and more relaxed at the time.  

Anyway its all a new experience and one i am trying to embrace!  I love being pregnant, and it will be weird to see the belly go!  I definitely have my days where its not so fun, but then i feel a kick or the baby move and i know its all going to be worth it.





- ps . baby shower post coming soon!!

No comments:

Post a Comment