Not a lot of people around me know what a Doula is. I actually didn't know until my friend Kristin had a Doula present at the birth of her son Elliot. I really liked the idea, so when my friend Bianca offered to be my Doula i said yes! She isnt a trained Doula but she is training/studying to be a midwife.
Here is an explanation of what a Doula is
"A doula is a type of labor support. She is not trained to deliver babies; her role is to help with pain management, advocacy, guiding your other coaches in helping you, and so on.
Research has shown that women who use a doula are less likely to use pain medication and often have faster and easier labors. Doulas are trained to provide physical support and non-medical pain relief, such as suggesting a change in positions, counter pressure or massage, holding you up, helping you walk, and so on. They do not replace your husband or other support; they supplement it. A doula is able to help your support person know what to do to help you and guide that person to do so. A doula can also take over if your support person needs a break, or jump in if you need additional support. "
- http://www.babble.com/pregnancy/what-is-a-doula/
so thats basically it! I trust Bianca so i was happy to have her on board. We havent met up yet but we will sometime soon as I just had my first calm-birth class, so i wanted to wait until we had gone to that.
Its interesting the kind of response you get from people who dont know what a Doula is, and when you mention that you are either using one or interesting in speaking with one. Even once you briefly explain it you get a skeptical response. To be honest everyone is different and a Doula might not be the right fit for you! You might be happy with your partner, mother sister, friend... anyone! For me I am planning to have Eben and Bianca. My mum would love to be in the room with me but at this point I've said no. Its not because i dont trust her, I know she has been through this 3 times so she would be a pretty knowledgable person when it comes to natural labour BUT i think having more than 2 people in the room will be too much for me. I dont want to be distracted, I really want to be able to focus on my breathing. Both Eben and Bianca have a 'job' while they are with me ... does that make any sense? As soon as my baby is born my mum can run into the room but until then she's going to have to wait outside UNLESS i decide i want her with me! I might change my mind while im in labour and want my mum. Its the same with pain relief. I want to TRY my best to deliver all natural but if it gets too much I will look at my options, the epidural being one of them.
Im honestly going into labour with an open mind. I have a plan, but its not a solid one, things can change and so can my mind! I've never been in labour before so I dont really know what to expect. Im trying my best to have a decent understanding and these are the choices I have made ... today .... tomorrow I might just change my mind.
No comments:
Post a Comment